Pages

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Iron Maiden - Powerslave (1984)
For my 400th post, I decided to review another one of my all-time favorite albums. Enjoy!

All the 80’s era Maiden albums are such classics. It’s hard to choose my favorite, but I had to choose Powerslave because Aces High and the title track are my two all-time favorite Maiden tracks. Plus it has one of the best metal album covers of all time. What impresses me the most about Iron Maiden besides their rock-solid songwriting abilities and the legendary vocals of Bruce Dickinson is their lyrical topics. They write songs about such a wide array of literary, historical, military, political and even philosophical subjects which adds an extra level of power to their music. Powerslave discusses such subjects as ancient Egyptian mythology, the Doomsday Clock and fencing. Oh and let’s not forget that they have one of the best drummers of all time as well as some of the best solos. As on all their albums, Nicko McBrain and the three guitarists shine brilliantly and make some incredibly ambitious music. All these elements coalesce into a perfect package on Powerslave. With Powerslave, as well as with Number of the Beast, Iron Maiden cemented themselves as the leading NWOBHM band and one of the best and most influential heavy metal bands of all time. 
10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment