Pages

Monday, June 17, 2013

Blood Ceremony - Living With the Ancients (2011)
Since I haven't had a chance yet to review their latest album and since I just got into this band via this record, I figured I'd give it a review. Wow. Just wow. I don't think an album has blown me away like this in quite some time. What this band represents is the perfect blending of Black Sabbath and Electric Wizard's doom onslaught, Jethro Tull's frenzied flute playing, and the psychedelic keys of The Doors. Some might say that wearing their influences so blatantly on their sleeves makes Blood Ceremony an unoriginal band, but I think that the blending of these influences plus the inclusion of a female singer makes for some of the most original and awe-inspiring music in the stoner/retro-doom scene. The flute and keys on this album are absolutely breathtaking in their ability to evoke nostalgic sentiments. The singer has a subdued, rather eerie voice that perfectly matches the music. The occult/pagan lyrics and imagery are a brilliant touch. Finally, the riffs and solos are great, yet not too heavy as would be expected of a vintage-sounding band. This is one of those rare albums that you pretty much instantly fall in love with. I'm already kicking myself for not discovering this sooner and I absolutely can't wait to listen to and review their new one (as well as their debut).
10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment