Pages

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Paysage d'Hiver - Das Tor (2013)
This album represents all that I really love about black metal: It's dark, brooding, intense, mesmerizing, cathartic, heavily atmospheric, bleak and, of course, grim and frostbitten. However, while it's being all dark and evil, it's also oddly relaxing and conducive to meditation. The hypnotic riffs, barely discernible vocals, and icy ambiance all make for an immersive experience into an harsh, alien landscape that leaves you at once disconnected and alone, yet connected to something larger than yourself by unknown means. As I've only heard one other album (Winterkalte) from this genius artist, it's hard to say how Das Tor fits in the grand scheme of Wintherr's discography, but I suspect it's his best to date. Others have commented that this album takes a slightly different approach than previous ones due to its similarity to Darkspace and Vinterriket, and I think this holds true. These influences give Das Tor an extra layer of depth and darkness that push it to perfection. I would not be surprised if this ends up being my favorite black metal release of 2013.
10/10
 

No comments:

Post a Comment