Pages

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Panzerballett - Tank Goodness (2012)
I've never quite come across a band that mixes jazz and metal this well. In fact, they even made a metal cover of a jazz standard ("Take Five" by Dave Brubeck) which is a daunting task and pretty much unheard of in the metal world. The saxophones on the songs really help keep the music dynamic and interesting, and the addition of funk elements only adds to that. What I didn't really care for was the two or three songs with vocals such as in the cover of "I Had the Time of My Life." They might have worked well as a stand-alone singles, but I think that on the album they somewhat disrupted the flow. Minor criticism like that aside, this is still a really unique and pretty awesome thing album that is sure to be a hallmark of the very small jazz-metal genre.
8.5/10
 

No comments:

Post a Comment