Pages

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Napalm Death - Utilitarian (2012)
Well I finally got around to listening to this, and I think it's a very solid effort from the most famous grindcore band in the world. I'm not really familiar with their older work so I can't compare it, but this album is incredibly raw and in-your-face as one would expect a grindcore album to be. There's a notable progressive-ish tinge to the album with frequent time changes and the addition of legendary avant-garde saxophonist John Zorn for a mean solo on "Everyday Pox." Utilitarian is full of unrelenting brutality that should please pretty much every metalhead including myself, but I did find my attention waning at times due to the sheer brutality of it. However, I still think it's a quite enjoyable work that will get better with repeated plays. I'm definitely looking forward to further digging into the band's discography.
8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment